Monday, March 19, 2007

One year ago today...


... my friend Lynsey K. Schildmeier was raped and killed in her own home. I can't believe it's been a whole year. It still seems like it happened a couple weeks ago. The trial was back in October and the killer, Craig Shank, recieved life in prison with no chance of parole. I'm using this blog to ask you all for your prayers. Please pray for Lynsey's family and friends as we try to get through this hard time. R.I.P. LKS 9/5/85-3/19/06


I also want to create more awareness and prevention of rape and domestic violence. On the day of Lynsey's funeral, we all wore the little light purple ribbons. I don't think people realize how many women are victimized each year by rape and domestic violence. Here are some disturbing facts:

-Around the world, atleast one in three women has been beaten, forced into sex, or otherwise abused during her lifetime.
-In the USA, a woman is raped every 90 seconds.
-Only 48 percent of sexual assaults are reported to the police...that's less than half!
-28 percent of rapes occure when the offender uses a weapon.
-Domestic violence has killed more women in the last 5 years than the number of Americans who were killed in the Vietnam War.

Please help me to support this in memory of Lynz.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Meg I love you!

Cameron said...

emily told me about this a while ago. i will definitely be praying for you and your friends and the family of your friend.

Yoli said...

Megan, it's amazing to see you using this difficult time to bring awareness and strength to others.